Cancellations of bookings with the Shark Academy
The Shark Academy has a strict cancellation policy pertaining to all bookings.
For Interns and Volunteers there is no refund on deposits, which constitute 50% of the booking balance. No exception will be made for refund of deposits. If an Intern/Volunteer has paid the full balance of the booking balance, the following refund structure will apply to the other 50% constituted under the following exceptional circumstances:
- A family emergency. In this scenario, the Intern/Volunteer must provide written proof in the form of medical certificates, death certificates, etc. which explicitly state the nature of the emergency.
- Personal sickness/unforeseen medical condition. In this scenario, the Intern/Volunteer must provide a medical certificate explicitly stating the nature of the medical condition. This must be provided 30+ days prior to arrival on the program.
- Political uprising/in-country instability. Unless work operations are affected by any incidences of this nature for a period of longer than three (3) working days prior to the arrival of interns/volunteers/students, it is unnecessary to cause undue alarm and no formal notifications will be given. We recommend interns/volunteers/students contact their embassy prior to departure from their country of origin to assess if any imminent safety/security threats are present in South Africa at the time.
In all of these cases, the program deposit of 50% is non-refundable. Thereafter the following refund structure will apply:
- 15-30 days prior to start date: 50% refund less the non-refundable deposit.
- 14-0 days prior to start: 50% refund less the non-refundable deposit.
- Already attending the program: 25% refund less the non-refundable deposit.
In all other cases, the following refund structure will apply:
- Cancellations 30+ days prior to the program start date: forfeit the 50% booking fee.
- Cancellations 14-0 days prior to program start date: no refund.
In the case of an Intern/Volunteer departing the program of their own volition after arrival on the program, with no valid medical, political or family emergency circumstances, no refund will be issued.